In a world of complex supply chains and diverse data sets, how can investors better scrutinise companies for signs of modern slavery? Kate Turner, First Sentier Investors' Responsible Investment Specialist discusses these challenges with Dr James Cockayne, a world leading expert in modern slavery.
They will discuss:
- Emerging techniques to identify risks using proxy indicators of vulnerability; high risk products and services and geographies.
- The heightened modern slavery risks the Coronavirus pandemic has presented.
- Thinking outside the box when it comes to leverage- techniques for investors to address risks beyond traditional company engagement.
- Reporting challenges and why companies should be encouraged to be transparent about modern slavery risks in their supply chains.
- The launch of First Sentier Investors’ modern slavery toolkit, which equips investors with tools to identify, address and report on modern slavery.
“The broader a portfolio, the harder it is to develop a high resolution picture of supply chains.”
Dr. James Cockayne
Dr James Cockayne is a Senior Fellow to the United Nations University Centre for Policy Research Modern Slavery Programme and a professor of global politics and anti-slavery at the University of Nottingham. He is Head of Secretariat for the Liechtenstein Initiative for Finance Against Slavery and Trafficking. He was previously a member of the Financial Sector Commission on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.